Soliloquy in an International Cloister

Watch your step as Brother Lawrence takes you inside the monastery walls of a five hundred year-old international order. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had ignored your hormones and joined the monastery.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

08 August 2007

Coconutty politics

You'll be relieved to know that I survived India and four days in Malaysia, and am now in the Philippines. Whereas it was raining much of the time in India and Malaysia, here it is, uh, also raining. It seems I arrived just in time for Tropical Depression "Chedong", which is pronounced "Cheding", of course. This reminds me of the 9-ball billiard tournament I was forced to watch the other day with one of the brothers. The winner of the tournament was a certain Ching, who hailed from Taiwan, I think. There was also a Chang and a Chung in the tournament. I wondered whether Ching would become Chang then Chung as he became older? But I digress....

Although I am in the Philippines, I must tell you one last story about India. I spent a day in the so-called "High Ranges" of Kerala, where there are three dams that provide hydroelectric power and irrigation water for the state. My brother guide told me that a local politician, a member of the opposition, decided he could make the dams into an election issue. When stumping among the local farmers, who were mostly poorly educated, he claimed that the government was giving them useless water. After all, they removed all the electricity from it before giving it to the farmers!

4 Comments:

Blogger Open Grove Claudia said...

I hate it when the electricity is stolen from my water. I'd vote for him!

08 August, 2007 18:34  
Blogger Unknown said...

A rival could make good use of that by pointing out that electric water generally kills you.
I trust you're fending off eastern lurgies by eating copious amounts of chilli, BroLo. That was always the excuse I used, anyway.

13 August, 2007 14:18  
Blogger BroLo said...

Pog: You should have been a politician.

OGC: You should have voted for Pog.

13 August, 2007 14:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah - all that manipulation and dishonesty.
Oh.

14 August, 2007 16:01  

Post a Comment

<< Home