Soliloquy in an International Cloister

Watch your step as Brother Lawrence takes you inside the monastery walls of a five hundred year-old international order. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had ignored your hormones and joined the monastery.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

08 April 2007

The New York Tales

The Disgruntled Passenger's Tale

So I was flying on US Air to New York last week. On top of all the other indignities visited upon the denizens of that mile-high slum called, "Coach Class", they announce that if you want to listen to the movie, you must use your own headphones or purchase a set for $5 or €5. (For the record, there is quite a large spread between $5 and €5, these days, but that is another story.) This, of course, was the one time I had forgotten to bring headphones. I pay for their cheap piece of crap with a $20 bill, at which point the flight attendant informs me that she does not have change. You would think that an airline that charges for drinks and headphones, besides selling duty free items, would have change for a twenty on hand.

Note to the airline industry: MAKE UP YOUR MINDS! If you want to be in the retail business, have sufficient change on hand. If you want to be an airline, give free headsets and roll the cost into the price of the ticket.

Tale of the Obsessive-Compulsive Flyer

Flight attendant to the lady in the seat next to me: "May I get you something to drink?"

Lady: "Yes. Three glasses of water with one ice cube each."

6 Comments:

Blogger Open Grove Claudia said...

But that means that my plane ticket would be $5 more and I wouldn't be able to buy a $5 Big Mac before the trip.

09 April, 2007 19:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How scary was your seat neighbour?!

09 April, 2007 21:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The tight gits. And spot on on the 'make your mind up' point, BroLo.

10 April, 2007 13:25  
Blogger BroLo said...

Let me just say, Moobs, that I was glad there was no meal on that flight. The thought of her with a knife (shutters). She was travelling with a small group of people that were all, shall we say, special. Missing teeth, tobacco juice stains on their shirts, etc. The kind of people who make you think that their mothers and fathers came from families with very good relationships.

11 April, 2007 04:01  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Ah, the old family tree that does not fork. Did the lady have enough heads that each one could have its own glass of water?

You're so right about the little conundrum US Air seems to be having. How can they not have change of a $20?

13 April, 2007 03:56  
Blogger Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I had the same issue with no change for a twenty when I was suckered into buying the headphones--my only consolation was that I was "only" paying 5 dollars and not a whopping 5 euros.

I did get my change, but it was after much hemming and hawing, which, looking back, may have actually been included in the purchase price.

Now hang on to those headphones! I personally treat them like I would a really good piece of jewelry if I had one; I refuse to buy another set. Ever.

29 April, 2007 14:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home