Soliloquy in an International Cloister

Watch your step as Brother Lawrence takes you inside the monastery walls of a five hundred year-old international order. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had ignored your hormones and joined the monastery.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

17 February 2007

Just when you thought it was safe to be an atheist

In one of my former stints in Rome, I became friends with T, who was studying at one of Rome's universities. She liked me because I was American (you'd have to ask her why--I certainly don't understand it) and I liked her because she was female. Not for that reason alone, obviously, but I do feel the need to get away from the all-male environment occasionally and expand my horizons with some of that legendary female irrationality. T was young, pretty, fun to be with, but at the same time strong enough to resist my sex appeal so she fit the bill quite nicely.

After moving back to the States, I kept in touch with T, who went back to Kenya to advance the cause of women's rights in eastern Africa. Over the years, we made various plans to meet, but they all fell through. I hoped that sometime during this six-year assignment in Rome I might get to the chance to travel to Kenya, but as I saw my schedule filling up, I began to despair of ever seeing her again.

On Thursday, I received the following e-mail from T: "...Just to let you know that i will be traveling to Toronto tomorrow for a job interview with WACC...."

What are the chances of that?! We're having dinner tonight!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you have allowed yourself a couple of hours to work on toning down your sex appeal - just in case she has grown weaker.

18 February, 2007 01:33  
Blogger BroLo said...

Unfortunately, there is no time for that. We'll have to take our chances.

18 February, 2007 18:35  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as well you have no time to develop any filthy habits either, BroLo ... Ahem.

19 February, 2007 13:42  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

How wonderful! Good friends are one of life's greatest blessings.

And I'm sure you are quite irresistible.

19 February, 2007 20:05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey BroLo, This is T. It was great seeing you in Toronto after so many years. Unbelievable! I’m really excited to be featured on your blog and look fwd for more interesting stuff about me/"us". The dinner was lovely, after long hours of walking in circles, crisscrossing same street, in the cold, looking for that specific restaurant. I loved the Coors beer too - first time to drink an American beer!! Awesome! And hey, thanks for showing me around, despite your incredibly "poor" sense of direction or is it acute memory loss!! You may need to have that checked!!!
And PS/ Thanks for resisting my "great" sex appeal too!!
Lol BroLo, can’t wait to meet you there again in spring!

06 March, 2007 12:34  

Post a Comment

<< Home