Soliloquy in an International Cloister

Watch your step as Brother Lawrence takes you inside the monastery walls of a five hundred year-old international order. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had ignored your hormones and joined the monastery.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

14 March 2007

A pain in the neck

Ever since returning to Rome on the 1st of February, I have been suffering from a sore neck and right shoulder. In addition, for the first week after my return, my left ear was completely blocked. While talking to my parents on the phone a few nights ago, my father offered this very sympathetic advice: “It’s hell getting old.”
This experience has made me realize that I have been quite fortunate in terms of my health. So far, I have even escaped any signs of heart disease, which tends to run in my family. My cholesterol, weight and blood pressure are all within acceptable ranges for my age. In fact, except for routine check-ups, I have only had to see a doctor twice in my life.
The first time was when I was about three or four years old. I stuck a small wooden bead up my nose because... well, because I could. This is when I discovered the principle that just because something goes in easily, it will not necessarily come out easily. After failed attempts on my part and on the part of my parents to remove the bead, I was taken to the emergency room, where a kindly doctor was able to remove the bead without causing too much discomfort.
My second medical incident occurred when I was about eight or nine years old. I woke up one morning with my head cocked to one side. Trying to straighten it hurt so I just kept it cocked. It must have seemed that I was in a permanently puzzled state of mind. Both my mother and I must have felt that it would eventually straighten itself out because I ended up going to school that way. By the time I went home for lunch (these were the days before the state-sponsored torture called the “school lunch program”), it still had not straightened out. The Cosmic Sadist saw to it that mother had prepared soup for lunch that day. As each spoonful approached my mouth, I had to tilt the spoon so that I could get it into my mouth, which meant that most of it ended up on the table or in my lap. I got the last laugh on the Cosmic Sadist, however, because I was able to skip school for the rest of the day in order to go to the doctor.
This time, my dad took me to a chiropractor. The doctor put me face down on a reclining table and began to examine me by feeling the vertebrae in my neck. Suddenly, he yanked my head to one side. There was a “POP” so loud that it surprised both my dad and the doctor. I wasn’t surprised. I was stunned. So stunned, in fact, that I couldn’t cry, which is what a deeper part of my brain was telling me to do.
That had put one of the errant vertebrae back in its place, but there was still another one to go. The doctor tried the maneuver again, but this time I was ready for it and tensed up, which made it ineffective. The doctor told me to relax, but how is one to relax when someone is trying to twist your head off?! Next he told me to lie on my side on a little bed in the office. He raised an adjustable head rest to keep my head at a comfortable angle. Then he began talking to my dad about this and that. I was left wondering when he was going to do his job and get my neck.... WHAM! The head rest suddenly gave way and POP! went the second vertebrae. This time I was not only stunned, but incredibly awed by the clever tactics of this doctor.
The doctor urged my dad to bring me back for follow-up treatments, but my dad and I saw through that scheme. I never went back, and have never had any problems since. Oh, wait a minute. DANG YOU, COSMIC SADIST!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had my neck popped a couple of times. I'm not sure it made much difference but it was certainly cool. My doctor in-laws tell me it is an incredibly damgerous and stupid thing to do. Perhaps that's what made it so cool.

14 March, 2007 14:04  
Blogger BroLo said...

Of course, doctors would tell you that. They would rather you let them perform surgery. Equally unhelpful for the patient, but infinitely more lucrative for them!

15 March, 2007 11:33  
Blogger Open Grove Claudia said...

Poor BroLo - can you get a Catholic Church sponsored massage? There's got to be some massage therapists working in Rome. I mean THERAPEUTIC massage in case you weren't sure.

I hope you feel better soon!

16 March, 2007 02:56  
Blogger Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

Hope you've worked out the kink by now and are again laughing at that Comic Sadist. You think s/he is just really a chiropractor in disguise?

16 March, 2007 15:45  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the top of my head to the bottom of my back throbbed with those "pops" and "whams." Whew.

I am glad you are better, enjoying the the weather, spring.

16 March, 2007 15:52  
Blogger BroLo said...

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. And yes, OGC, a massage would help. Even the therapeutic kind.

17 March, 2007 09:51  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

"Even the therapeutic kind." Brolo, you are such a bad boy.

Maybe a little Sacramental wine would help. Feel better soon!

23 March, 2007 02:18  
Blogger Unknown said...

I absoulutely love my chiropractor. I would ot be able to do my work as a massage therapist without semi-regular adjustments. I used to go to one who was as sneaky as the one you describe. Then he would ruin it bu apolgizing.

14 April, 2007 03:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home