Soliloquy in an International Cloister

Watch your step as Brother Lawrence takes you inside the monastery walls of a five hundred year-old international order. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had ignored your hormones and joined the monastery.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

01 July 2007

Curry and rice, anyone?

I leave early tomorrow morning for a month-long trip to India, where I am supposed to determine whether two of our fledgling jurisdictions are ready to become provinces. From India, I travel to Kuala Lumpur to visit the brothers there, then on to the Philippines for more visits. Finally, I am going back to Malaysia, this time to Kuching, where I am taking five days of vacation.

This will be only my second time in India, the last being over ten years ago. It will be interesting to see how much things have changed in the meantime. I must admit to being slightly apprehensive about the trip. Strange foods, customs, and languages were more exciting when I was younger. Now I am more concerned about diarrhea, malaria, Japanese encephalitis and the fluffiness of my pillow. To give you an idea, half of my twenty-five kilo allowance consists in various medicines. Luckily, the Indian brothers have shown themselves to be wonderful hosts in the past, and my Indian counterpart will be traveling with me for much of the time, which is comforting.

One leg of my travels in India involves going from Vijayawada to Hyderabad... alone. Although the two cities aren't far apart, the brothers mercifully decided not to expose me to the horrors of Indian trains, buying me a plane ticket instead. The flight is on Kingfisher Airlines, and it cost a grand total of $85. Now I like a bargain as much as the next person, but I also believe you get what you pay for. When I see an $85 plane fare, therefore, I'm thinking rusty wings, missing rivets and engine repairs done with hammers. Rather than panic, I decided to check the airline's safety record so I googled "Kingfisher disaster screams charred remains", but the only hit from that search was someone complaining about his meal. So I broadened the search to "Kingfisher Airlines safety". This netted a few more hits, and one of them precisely answered my concerns. It was a review of the airline that read, in part: "Kingfisher Airlines appears to be more interested in flashiness than in safety. They have a reputation for having the hottest flight attendants in definitely the shortest skirts."

This may be my best trip ever!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How thoughtful of them to provide a distraction for nervous monks, BroLo.

I do hope you avoid the Bangalore Boombox and Delhi Belly.

02 July, 2007 14:22  
Blogger Open Grove Claudia said...

Hot flight attendants in short skirts! I bet you'll have a nice time! (And I'm certain traveling with another brother will help the whole "vow of chastity" thing.)

This job is actually pretty cool BroLo - I'm excited to hear all about your trip to India. Will you share some photos??

03 July, 2007 20:27  
Blogger BroLo said...

I'll have lots of photos and great memories, and probably a lingering case of gastrointestinitis.

09 July, 2007 14:24  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'dm be in bowel collapse by the time I'd finished checking in. Good Luck Bro!

19 July, 2007 19:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home