Soliloquy in an International Cloister

Watch your step as Brother Lawrence takes you inside the monastery walls of a five hundred year-old international order. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had ignored your hormones and joined the monastery.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

25 September 2011

Tales of a city priest

So this couple comes to see one of our brothers, the pastor of a large, city parish in southern Brazil, and asks to have a Medieval-style wedding. What could possibly be wrong with that, he thinks. Then comes the day of the wedding — everyone, from the wedding party to the guests, shows up wearing Shrek costumes! There was even someone dressed as a donkey (unfortunately, it was not Eddie Murphy).


To make matters worse, a journalist from the local newspaper was on hand to cover the wedding, which was given coverage, including photographs, in the following day's edition. That resulted in the priest receiving a rather unpleasant call from the bishop.

I get the bishop's point about movie-themed weddings in church. Today you allow Shrek, and tomorrow it's Planet of the Apes. On the face of it, however, if the newspaper had not reported that this was a Shrek-themed wedding, it is possible that no one would have given a second thought about the choice of attire. Have you seen some of the outlandish things people wear to their weddings these days?! In fact, this wedding party is dressed quite modestly, although their color coordination is somewhat lacking.

All in all, it could have been worse:

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous mara said...

Wow!

The only theme wedding I have ever heard of was several years ago, when my step-father was living, there were times he made “Tin Men” from recycled cans for kids. It was one of his hobbies in his retirement, and he always gave them away, though, surprisingly, it appeared to have been a market for this kind of stuff?? Anyhow, one of the women at the local bank who knew him had a special request. She was having a theme wedding. Yes, you guess it, a “Wizard of Oz” wedding! She asked him to make several so she could place them around the church. I cannot remember what denomination of church it was, but to this day I cannot imagine who was who in the wedding party. All I know is that she was going to hang these tin men up around the church. Use your imagination, but it had to be hilarious. I just cannot understand how you can turn something so sacred into a pop theme. Maybe, “heart in san francisco” whose pic indicates some relation to this “Oz Kingdom”, can give his input?

27 September, 2011 19:30  
Blogger BroLo said...

I'm going to guess that the groom played the part of the Cowardly Lion.

29 September, 2011 16:03  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I was going to make the same observation you did - that people often wear truly outlandish outfits and who is to question their taste? Besides, it was hardly the priest's fault that they attired themselves in that manner. And how do we know that Shrek and Co are not Roman Catholics? (The Pope wears some funny looking stuff too. Just saying.)

13 November, 2011 03:53  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

P.S. I just read Mara's comment in which she refers to me. First of all, I am not a "he." My name is Susan and I am not the subject of a Johnny Cash song. Second, I can't remember what I had in mind when I started blogging in 2006 and selected my avatar, but I have always been fond of The Wizard of Oz as well as ruby slippers, and think that the blogosphere resembles Oz in some ways. Does that help?

13 November, 2011 03:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home