Soliloquy in an International Cloister

Watch your step as Brother Lawrence takes you inside the monastery walls of a five hundred year-old international order. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had ignored your hormones and joined the monastery.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

30 May 2011

Dreadfully sari

A few years ago, I told a friend that I would be spending a few weeks in India visiting our brothers there. She asked me to buy some silk cloth that she could make into a dress. As my visit was nearing its end, I dutifully asked one of the brothers to take me to a shop that sold saris. I picked out two saris that looked like good dress material.

Since then every time I visit India the brothers insist on taking me to buy saris. I tried explaining that I really do not need any more saris, but they apparently think that I am merely being polite. Earlier this month during another visit, they insisted on buying not one, but two saris for me. A week later, I visited our brothers in another region of India, and they wanted to buy even more saris for me. Fortunately, I persuaded them to buy me a kurta instead.

If I knew how to sew I suppose I could use the saris to make some lovely silk boxers for myself. Can anyone suggest some other creative uses for two silk saris?

6 Comments:

Blogger once bitten, twice crushed said...

Pocket squares, decorative pillows, curtains. Headbands, scarf, suit lining. If I had a sewing machine (or knew how to sew), I'd be begging for your saris...

30 May, 2011 19:27  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Maybe they secretly believe you're a cross dresser, no pun intended.

31 May, 2011 05:50  
Anonymous Moobs said...

Wow. If you need to sew two saris together to make a pair of boxers, it;s time to get back on your bike.

01 June, 2011 23:41  
Blogger BroLo said...

OBTC: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll include them when I give the saris to the lucky recipient(s).

HIFS: My thoughts exactly, and the reason it is so embarrassing.

Moobs: In fairness, it is a pair of winter boxers.

06 June, 2011 23:06  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Well, we all have our cross to bear.

10 June, 2011 22:03  
Anonymous Lou said...

....the same things happened to me with bananas. I told a sister of mine that I loved eating bananas..... every cloister I went I found bananas waiting for me in the refectory... that's why now I eat cherries, peaches, apricots, strawberries etc etc!!!

01 August, 2011 22:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home