Soliloquy in an International Cloister

Watch your step as Brother Lawrence takes you inside the monastery walls of a five hundred year-old international order. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wish you had ignored your hormones and joined the monastery.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rome, Italy

09 April 2006

Sunday, sun day

Here's how I spent my day:
05.30 Got up, showered, shaved, etc.
06.15 Morning prayer with the community
07.00 Started the New York Times crossword puzzle over a cup of coffee
08.00 Attended Palm Sunday mass in our chapel (which is a story in itself)
08.30 Ate breakfast, continued working crossword
09.30 Went back to bed, where I alternated between finishing the crossword, working the Sudoku and sleeping
12.00 Ate lunch (two slices of salamino piccante pizza left over from last night)
13.15 Went for an 18 mile bike ride (that's 29 km for those who refuse to be assimilated into the American Collective)
15.00 Blogged

As I write this, Brother Chef and his assistant are filling the house with the wonderful aromas of this evening's dinner. In a few hours, we will have our evening prayer and eat dinner. Then I plan to veg for the rest of the evening.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

While watching 'Songs of Praise' I trust?

10 April, 2006 17:24  
Blogger BroLo said...

Never heard of it; must be a Brit thing. There will probably be an American version of it soon since every other British television show eventually gets remade over here. All except the good ones, of course.

10 April, 2006 21:14  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does bicycle riding count as mortification?

11 April, 2006 12:01  
Blogger BroLo said...

It does when I do it. You'd be mortified if you saw me in my tights! Not to mention Pog, who seldom approves of my wardrobe choices.

11 April, 2006 17:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sitting here wondering about vows of poverty, obedience and etc , because this sounds a bit like my sunday and I don't live in a monastry...or a convent. Just in case anyone was wondering.

(I'd like to add the ps here where I say that I am very interested in these various themes, providing I'm not the one who is practicing them.)

12 April, 2006 21:24  
Blogger BroLo said...

It was a cheap bicycle. And I asked permission before going. Satisfied?

12 April, 2006 23:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home